We have moved!

We have moved!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Quest For Briyani Part 2: Azizah Hydrabadi Dhumnd Briyani

After awhile, I finally got a chance to do the 2nd installment of my Quest for Briyani series.
And trust me, it's been way too long since Part 1.

We went back to Geylang Serai Market to try out another Briyani stall there.
Unfortunately, it being Monday, most of the stalls were already closed by afternoon when we arrived there (including Haji Mohd Yussof Warung Nasi Baryani from Part 1).

Luckily for us, there was one stall still open.

I've heard that Azizah Hydrabadi Dhumnd Briyani also has regular long snaking queues at its stall and was even featured on TV once. Must have been on Suria or something.

Mutton Briyani ($5.50)

They serve their Briyani on this giant plate with a bowl of dalcha and some fruit acar.
Quite a large serving I'd have to say which is probably why it's comparably pricier than the other stall at Geylang Market offering briyani.


I got a nice T-Bone of mutton which was completely covered in spicy masala.
But compared to Haji Mohd Yussof Warung Nasi Baryani, this was definitely not as spicy but still quite tasty if you ask me.

The dalcha was equally tasty as was the fruit acar. Definitely complimented the dish overall.


Okay here's the one problem my darling wife and I both had a slight issue with.

The rice was nice and fluffy. Surely a great grade of Basmati was used.
And I didn't let the lack of colour in the rice bother me because some of the best briyani do not resort to using colouring in their rice.

But, unfortunately, the rice was not tasty. In fact, I didn't taste anything.
I thought it was just me. And then my darling wife confirmed it. In fact, she pointed something else out.
The rice was TOO fragrant probably the result of using too much rose water maybe?
Well whatever the reason, this was quite a put-off. I mean, fragrant rice is definitely a plus but this was....
Hmmmm.....


Well at least the meat was tender and tasty.

But in all fairness, when you put the meat, rice, dalcha and acar all together and take a great big mouthful, this actually makes up a pretty good plate of briyani. Maybe the individual elements have their own ups and downs but the sum of its parts makes this briyani pretty delicious.

Adam's Verdict:
Mutton Briyani 3.5/5


Maryah's Briyani:
Mutton Briyani 2.5


We ordered the Mutton Briyani this time but they also offer a Chicken and a Fried Chicken Briyani.
We might try it next time or if anyone else has tried it, please let us know what you thought of it.


Azizah Hydrabadi Dhumnd Briyani

Geylang Serai Market
1, Geylang Serai #02-127

Tel: 9181 5862 (Md Noshad Khan)

http://azizahcatering.multiply.com/ 

Operating Hours:  10.00am til 4.00pm (Closed on Wednesday)



No comments:

Post a Comment