We have moved!

We have moved!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Mad Jack


I never really had a good impression of Mad Jack.
It had a reputation of being a good place to get some decent food at a good price (where have I heard that one before eh...).

I went there a few years ago with my Dad and his steak came out raw.
That's right. Not even rare. But RAW. (And no it was not Monday Night).
But I must say that the service was top notch then. My dad pointed out the steak to the waiter and they didn't just take it back to the kitchen to further cook the same piece of meat but served a brand new cut of steak. Now that was definitely impressive.

And now after so long we finally decided to give Mad Jack a try because we had a hankering for some western food and Botak Jones was a no-no.

Blue Mountain Beef Burger ($8.90)

So the Blue Mountain Burger boasts itself being the "Tallest Burger in Town".
The one I ordered above is only the 3-tier one. For those really really really hungry people out there - they also have a 5-tier option.

So it consists of 3 self-made beef patties, a pineapple ring, a slice of tomato, cheese, lettuce and some mayonnaise between 2 buns. And they serve it with some french fries. Seriously.
I just read out to you ALL the components which you can verify from the picture above.
Seems a bit simple yes?

Firstly let me start with the patties.
They are definitely made with a good quality beef which is quite flavourful.
You can tell they make their own patties when you get chunks of onion and strips of carrot in each bite.

The patty itself may be respectable but I'm afraid the cooking of the patty is not.
The cooking was thoroughly inconsistent for my burger.
The top patty was just barely at the point of medium-well done with the middle of the patty being the rarest part. The center patty was the most well-cooked patty between the 3. It was juicy and still packed a great beefy flavour. The patty on the bottom was overcooked on the outside but completely rare on the inside.

I'm not sure what the aim of the cook was.
Was he trying to give me 3 different varieties of patty so I could try them all out?
Did he cook the patty at completely different ends of the grill hence the varying temperatures?

I guess for that price I should not be complaining right?
I know this is not the kind of place where the maitre'd is going to ask how well I would like my burger meat to be cooked but if he's not going to ask then the least the cook can do is make sure the patties are cooked thoroughly.

And another thing to note - there's no way you can pick this burger up and chomp down.
You're gonna have to deconstruct each layer so you end up eating the patties separately.
And because the ingredients are individual (ie pineapple at the top, mayonaise only on the bottom etc) you might get the feeling that you're eating 3 different types of burgers.

 Chicken Chop with Black Pepper Sauce ($8.90)

So my darling wife had the lesser of two evils - The Chicken Chop.

I took a bite and I have to say the sauce was actually very peppery. But nothing to grind about.
My wife says it's very tender and not too bad.

We also paid an additional $9 to add the Soup of the Day, the Dessert of the Day and a glass of Pepsi.

 Mushroom Soup

This mushroom soup was definitely made from scratch. It definitely is not the instant type.
Unfortunately it's also not the delicious type.
The do have minced mushrooms in there somewhere but a little too much cream makes it tastes like a bowl of mushroom-infused milk. Prepare to add your own salt and plenty of pepper.

Black Forest Cake

Mad Jack isn't really the first name that comes to mind when you think of cakes.
And we found out why.

Mad Jack actually has a wide variety of cakes to offer including Apple Pie, Banana Chocolate and Black Forest which happened to be the Dessert of the Day and it's served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream with chocolate sauce drizzled all over.

Okay okay I'm not going to say so much about the cake because there really isn't much to say.
Simply put, it wasn't the best Black Forest Cake I'd ever had.
But I will say this - they served it on a teacup saucer. An actual teacup saucer.

Adam's Verdict:
Blue Mountain Burger 2/5 -- Mushroom Soup 2/5 -- Black Forest Cake 2/5

Maryah's Verdict:
Chicken Chop 2.5/5 -- Mushroom Soup 1/5 -- Black Forest Cake 0/5

Let me end by saying the service was still impeccable.
The staff were attentive and helpful as they were on my last visit all those years ago.
Hopefully they will still be as helpful when I next visit in a few years down the road.

cvbvcbcv

Mad Jack


304 Bedok Road, The Market Place (Simpang Bedok)
Tel: 6445 8168
http://www.madjackcafe.com/

 Operating Hours: 11.30am – 12 midnight daily

No comments:

Post a Comment