We have moved!

We have moved!

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Geylang Serai Bazaar Ramadhan - Churro Brothers



So we love Churros.
And I've had Churros before. But it was always at some bistro or Tapas joint or rather.
I had never come across Halal Churros in Singapore. Until yesterday.


So what is a Churro anyways?
Well it's actually a Spanish pastry. If you ask me, I'd call it a variation on a doughnut or a pretzel but believe it or not it's actually more of a Choux pastry (for all you bakers out there) than a doughnut or pretzel.
Well whatever you want to call it - Churros are delicious!
And the popular way to eat them is with some hot chocolate or chocolate sauce.

So Ziela tells me in the office about this stall at the Geylang Bazaar which sells Halal Churros.
And I say "No way!" because like I said - I had never come across Halal Churros in Singapore.
So you can imagine my excitement if I actually bother to go check this out the very next day.

Sure or not???

So anyways this is what they offer.

They've got 3 types of Churros - Cinnamon Sugar, Chocolate-filled and Caramel-filled.
They also have 3 types of dips - Milky Chocolate, Candy Caramel and Grandma's Apple Pie.

You can buy 4 Cinnamon Sugar or 3 Chocolate/Caramel-filled for $2 or
you can buy a Buddy combo of 6 Cinnamon Sugar, 2 Chocolate-filled and 2 Caramel-filled PLUS one of each of the dips for $5. (No prizes for guessing which one I bought)
Individual dips will cost you 50 cents a pop.


Chocolate / Caramel
Churros

Let me start by saying that the Churros are actually very good and have a nice bite to them.
I know you're saying "But Churros are normally long what" well these have been cut into bit-sized pieces for us because I'm sure you don't want to walk around Geylang Bazaar with a super-long Churros sticking out of your mouth or pocket.

And at the rate these buggers were selling, I'm guessing you're probably going to almost always get a fresh batch because people are snapping them up as soon as they come out of the fryer. Even I was lucky enough to get a fresh batch in my bag. They make and pack all their stuff on site so you're know you're getting a fresh good Churro.

I even went a little further and kept them for awhile to see if the pastry hardened (like most unfortunately do).
After an hour - still had a good bite.
I even kept some for sahur the next morning - and they still were not hard!
But of course, like most things, best to eat em while they're hot and fresh.

Candy Caramel / Milky Chocolate / Grandma's Apple Pie

So how did the dips and fillings measure up?
I have to say that my favourite was the Candy Caramel. We all know I'm a sucker for sugar.

I'm guessing a fan favourite will probably be the Milky Chocolate but take note, just like the name literally says, this is a milk chocolate sauce as my darling wife pointed out. Some of you darker chocolate fans might be whining but it's still not too bad a sauce and goes well with the Churros.

Cinnamon Sugar Churro with Milky Chocolate Dip


The one I couldn't quite get used to was the Grandma's Apple Sauce.
It tasted a lot like McDonalds' Apple Pie but it was kinda watery and there was something about it I could not quite put my finger on.

Or maybe I just wanted more of the Candy Caramel.

Cinnamon Sugar Churro

The Cinnamon Sugar Churro is actually excellent enough on its own.
But I'm gonna bet my last Candy Caramel dip that you're probably gonna be dipping it into some sauce.

The Churro Brothers

So apparently those two are the Churro Brothers aptly named Bro #1 and Bro #2.
(I am not aware of the existence of any other Churro Brother at the time of release at this blog post.)

And I'm thinking this idea probably came about like this.
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking Bro #1?"
"I think I am Bro #2!"
"IT'S CHURROS TIME!!!"

Okay so maybe not EXACTLY like that lah but you get the idea.

 Adam's Verdict:
Churros 4/5

Maryah's Verdict:
Churros 3/5


Oh. And like I said. They're really popular. Remember that sign at the start about queuing?
Well if you do go down during peak period at the Bazaar, you're gonna have to deal with this.


But like they said - it's worth the wait.

I must applaud these 2 Churro Brothers. They've taken a great idea and a good product and brought it to the masses at a location where it's relatively accessible to pretty much everyone. And they're really friendly too!

I'm sure what their plans are after the bazaar is over but I reckon I might check their Facebook page to find their location when I have a hankering for some Churros.


Churro Brothers

Geylang Serai Bazaar Ramadhan
Just outside the entrance of Darul Arqam Muslim Converts Association

www.facebook.com/ChurroBrothers

Operating Hours: 5.00pm til they sell out of Churros
Bro #1 tells me they normally sell out around 10pm

1 comment:

  1. Lets try it again tonight Baby!! And this time I'll enjoy it more coz by then I'm not so full.
    :D

    ReplyDelete